#TheReadingQuest is a reading challenge based entirely on a video-game quest created by Aentee @ Read At Midnight. This quest will take place between Sunday 13th August to Sunday 10th September, 2017, and the sign up form will be open until Sunday 13th August. In this challenge, you get to embark on a journey to conquer your TBR pile through a series of stages to gain experience and level up points for a character of your choosing.
Artwork credit goes to: CW of Read, Think, Ponder!
The mechanics of the reading challenge are that of a bingo board and the reading prompts depend on the character class you chose!
Knight: These players are warriors skilled in direct combat. On their quest, they will fight their way through the First Across path. The stages within this path are inspired by action and weaponry.
Bard: While the bards may not engage in direct combat, they make up with their intimate knowledge of songs and stories. They will travel through the Fifth Down path on the quest board, reading famed tales and singing lost songs.
Rogue: These adventurers have absolute mastery over stealth and speed, and they slip in and out of the quest through the Fifth Across path. They celebrate underappreciated books and half-forgotten stories.
Mage: As wielders of spells and witchcraft, these players will conjure and summon their ways through the First Down path on the quest. Their tomes contain magic and whispers of alternate lands.
For this wonderful challenge I chose to be: a Bard!
And these are the books I chose to read for the main quests and some of the side quests!
1. A book that has a movie/tv adaptation: Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon!
2. A fairy tale retelling: The Wrath and the Dawn by Reneh Ahdieh!
3. A book cover with striking typography: Noir by Jacqueline Garlick!
4. A book translated from another language: The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski!
5. A banned book: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J. K. Rowling!
6. Animal companion (book references an animal in the title):
Phoenix by Elizabeth Richards!
7. Open World (read whatever you want): Fire Falling by Elise Kova!
8. Expansion (read a companion novel or short story): The Paths We Choose by M. Hollis!
9. Time Warp (a book set in either the past or the future): Blood, Ink & Fire by Ashley Mansour!
Besides the main quests for the different Character Classes (Purple Squares), we also have side quests (Blue Squares)! Completing these challenges will help you earn extra points and bonus experience for your character! And you should write down and upgrade your scores every now and then because there are prizes! Therefore, if you’d like to be eligible for the prizes, you should write down your scores!
- All characters will start off with 10 Experience Points (EXP), and each book (in any format: physical, eBook or audiobook) they complete for the Quest Board will add another +10 EXP. The exception are graphic novels/manga, which will give +5 EXP.
- The exception is for books written by marginalized authors. These books will earn you characters bonus EXP. For each book completed for the Quest, you will gain +20 EXP.
- Adventurers who complete their character’s quest before the challenge period will earn +50 EXP. You will earn additional +30 EXP for any additional character quest you complete after that.
- Your character will level up with every +50 EXP. They all start at Level 1.
- All characters begin with 10 Health Points (HP). Every 10 pages you read during the Quest will give you +1HP. The exception are graphic novels/manga, which will give you +1HP for every 20 pages.
- Tweeting on #TheReadingQuest hashtag (with meaningful tweets about your current read, roleplay with your current characters, book recommendations) will earn you +1HP each. You can have a maximum of +20HP from Social Media interactions.
- Photos of your #TheReadingQuest books or TBR pile will earn you 1HP each. This contributes towards the maximum of +20HP from Social Media interactions mentioned above.
- The points will be catalogued at the end via a masterpost, to find out who The Quest Champion is! All participants interested in the prizes to link up in the Masterpost at the conclusion of the Quest!
The adventurers with the most EXP and HP at the end of the quest will be the Quest Champions! Good luck, my fellow adventurers! If you have any other questions about this quest or would like to sign up and join the adventure, make sure to visit or leave a comment at Aentee’s post!
Anyone else joining (or thinking about joining) this wonderful quest?!
I shall try updating my progress and my points via twitter so make sure you follow me if you’d like to see how this goes for me! I will also try to remember to do an update post every now and then so watch out for those too!
Thank for passing by & reading! x